Caching is how your browser attempts to keep loading time to view websites to a minimum by storing already visited pages. If you noticed that you go to a new website and it takes a few seconds longer than if you go to a website that you visit more often, it is because of caching. That new page will now load faster the next time you visit it, compared to the first time, because it is now stored in your cache.
Although caching is great to make loading time faster, it can cause issues. For instance, if new information has been added to a website you may not see the latest changes because your cache is loading an older version of the website. Over time your cache will update to the latest changes, however, it can take it awhile (usually 24 hours). To speed the process along, you can clear your cache so that it takes the latest changes instantly.
Each Browser is different at how to clear its cache. This blog will go over how to do it in IE. Click on the other browsers below to go to the blog with instructions on how to clear cache for their system.
To start clearing your cache in IE.
1. Open your IE browser.
2. You can use the shortcut method to opening “Delete Browsing History” by typing the Ctrl Shift Delete
3. Or you can click on the gear icon that is at the top right of the browser. It is directly below the Close button.
4. Click on Safety. This will open up additional options
5. Choose Delete Browsing History
6. This will open up a pop up box with a few options that need to be selected.
Make sure you have the following checked
- Preserve Favorites website data
- Temporary Internet files and website files
- Cookies and website data
7. Then hit the Delete
It may take a few seconds for the process to be complete. There will be no visual recognition that the process is done.
8. You will need to refresh your page to ensure you see the latest changes to the website.
9. You can click on the refresh button located to the right of the url search box.
10. You can also press the F5 key that is located at the top row of your keyboard to refresh the page as well.
11. You should noticed it processing the page and it should reload with the new changes. If you do not see any changes, close the browser completely and then open a new IE browser and go to the website.